When you work in Communications for a long time, or perhaps it’s when you age (!), you begin to truly appreciate the power of pictures. The old adage “A picture says a thousand words” doesn’t even scratch the surface.
So how do you capture the right picture? Here are some of the quick PR best practices we’ve picked up over the years.
- Photojournalism tells a story. Know your story up front.
- Get up close; show emotion, very HUMAN emotion.
- Consider your caption from the get-go. Include a caption!
- Show action. Leave posed shots for the wedding album.
- Try to avoid having all subjects looking directly at the camera. Allow them to look at the camera ONLY if you must.
- Limit the number of persons in your picture.
- Watch out for bright spots – which may appear lousy in a print publication.
- Consider branding or signage.
- Get rights/permission of persons in pics! (in writing)
And, last but not least, here are some examples we’ve enjoyed of late…Happy snapping !